Maybe. We do extensive testing on factory racks to see which ones are strong and properly shaped to handle a luggage box. We have also redesigned the mounting hardware to fit a variety of different crossbar shapes.
First step to determine if a box will fit your car is to check Fit My Car to see which, if any, of the boxes are options for your vehicle's factory rack.
If your vehicle has a rear hatch, click here to determine if there may be any interference with the cargo box when your hatch is open.
There are several reasons why we may not recommend using a cargo box with your factory crossbars. Some examples include:
- The crossbars may be too low to the roof for our mounting hardware to clear which may cause some scratching
- The crossbars (or mounting points) may sag or incur damage from the weight of the box and your gear
- If the crossbars are curved, gaps between the bottom and the top may occur which can cause the box to fly open on the road.
- Crossbar spread (distance from the front to the rear bar is too narrow or too wide
- RocketBox Pro 12 - 24-32"
- ShowCase 15 - 24-34"
- Skybox 16 - 24-36"
- Showcase 20 / RocketBox Pro 11/14 - 24-40"
- SkyBox 12, 18,21 & LoPro - 24 -42"
In these cases we recommend that you attach a cargo box to a Yakima rack system to ensure road safety. Click here to find the fit information for your vehicle.
Still have questions? You can contact us here, or by calling 888-925-4621 M-F from 7 to 4 PT